It’s the end of the school year zone when we slog through a series of news-less weeks, pining for perhaps another recruiting tidbit or even some hoops news. In the meantime, we’re starting to compile some very relevant content ranging from our ongoing First Look 2013 series to some Purple Mafia Profiles and, a new post out this week B1G Doings, a whip around B1G country to capture what our competition is up to these days.
Today, we’re ripping off a a mish-mosh of musings, some of which actually include Northwestern Wildcats info.
- The lack of officially naming Brian James as the Northwestern assistant men’s basketball coach is going to go down as the most mysterious assistant coaching hire in my time covering NU. Doug Collins’ assistant in Philadelphia was reported by dozens of outlets – in April – to be a Wildcat assistant. Yet, here we are in June, Tavaras Hardy has surprised many by bolting for Georgetown, and we still have no word on Chris Collins’ former high school coach officially becoming his running mate.
- I’m just now getting to the final season of Friday Night Lights (on NetFlix). Hands down, it is the best example of authentic character development over a five season show that I’ve seen.
- Thank you SBNation – for ripping Vanderbilt for its non-conference schedule. They went the distance and not only mocked Vandy for loading up on four teams that combined for 7 FBS wins combined last year, but they mentioned the cowardly way in which the Commodores erased both Northwestern and Ohio State off their schedule by sending an unannounced letter in the mail.
- Indiana is off to baseball’s College World Series, the first time since 1984 a B1G team has done so (Michigan).
- Chris Collins is apparently a very good golfer, whose handicap might be a little suspect. I’m hoping he’s the same way when it comes to his on the floor coaching skills.
- I never thought I’d see the day when the Chicago Blackhawks took over the #2 spot in the Chicago sports landscape (with the Bears holding #1), but it has happened. I went to see Sting at Ravinia Saturday night and the amount of folks wearing Hawks gear was out of control and each goal by the Hawks created a ripple of cheering throughout the venue.
- Remember when Fitz singing the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley Field was a big deal? He had the mic again this past Saturday and I didn’t even know about it. Then again, any Cubs home game these days really isn’t worth knowing about anyway.
- Nick Medline of PurpleWildcats.com reported that 3-star OLB, Noah Furbush (Kenton, Ohio), was on campus yesterday and is very high on the ‘Cats recruiting board. Furbush has NU among a slew of B1G schools in the mix, but Medline reports he’s a ways off from committing.
- If you don’t live in the Chicago area, consider yourself lucky this June. Worst weather in June in Wildcat country than I can remember. Having to have a warm jacket on hand, not cool.
- Jamie Lovegrove, a writer for PurpleWildcats.com, had a neat post on PK Jeff Budzien. The most compelling part of his feature, however, may have been the impact a great kicker can have on playcalling and also the flip side. Lovegrove recalled Penn State kicker Sam Ficken, who entered the NU game at just 2-for-8 on the season and how it dominated the Penn State offensive gameplan. The Nittany Lions just turned every series in to a go-for-it-on-4th mentality and went 5-for-6 on the day.
- If you’re interested in sponsoring a hole for $500 at the Randy Walker Open Celebrity Golf Outing on July 29 (Chicago Highlands Golf Club) contact Susie Berg at firstname.lastname@example.org . Michael Wilbon is one of many names that will be appearing that day.
- Rivals.com’s Michigan site, TheWolverine, recently reported that Jacques Patrick, one of the top ten RBs in the 2015 recruiting class is visiting Northwestern today. Patrick, a 6-2, 200 pound stud from Orlando (Timber Creek), Florida, has more than 30 offers in hand from the likes of Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, USC and others. Just one more sign that NU has elevated its game that it is now becoming more common for four-star talent to include the ‘Cats with the traditional powers.
- I can’t remember the last time I actually watched a non-live sporting event live on television.
- Comment fodder. I’m working on a couple of idea fragment posts. One is the three plays from 2012 we’ll remember 10 years from now – good or bad. I’m thinking the Michigan Hail Mary is a lock and Budzien’s near make vs Nebraska are in. A slew of candidates for the third and would love to hear your thoughts.
LTP Purple Pledge – Our Ongoing Efforts To Pack Ryan Field Purple
New Season Ticket Goal: 200
Percent of Goal: 72%
Single Game Ticket Goal: 500
Current Status: 268
Percent of Goal: 54%
We went O-fer since last Thursday on season OR single game tickets. Let’s change that!
Season ticket holders get the huge bonus of getting to buy ADVANCE SINGLE GAME TICKETS, including Ohio State and Michigan, at face value. That alone makes it worth your while.
Call Mike Zoller at 888-Go-Purple and then hit extension 0969 and tell him LTP sent you. He’s got some great upper deck season tickets available and you can still get season tickets at about the 10-yard line if you hurry. You can also call him to order single game tickets for your friends. I’ve got six season tickets and can get 12 additional PER game at face. I’ll be doing so in the coming weeks as I want to make one order and I know some of you might need some help.